Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanks Giving

On this glorious day of feasting and family and football, I wanted to take a minute and truly come back to the spirit of the holiday. Not that I find anything wrong with feasting or family or football, only that I don't want this day to pass without stoping to reflect on it's purpose. When you hear the word Thanksgiving what is the first thing you think of? Turkey, a big dinner, the parade, football, Black Friday? (Or if your brain is wired like my pre-school teacher one, handprint turkeys and paper pilgrim hats.) Why is it that on a day we call "ThanksGiving", giving thanks is not the first thing on our agenda?

I'm making it a point today to give thanks to my creator and the supplier of all my many blessings. I don't know where you are or what life stage you're in right now. I don't know if you can afford a Thanksgiving turkey with all the trimmings, or if you will be celebrating with turkey sandwiches. I don't know if you have family to feast with or if it's just you and your cat sharing a pumpkin pie. However I do know what the Bible says about being thankful,
"Always be Joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who are in Christ Jesus." -1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
So today, and "in all circumstances", let us not forget to lift our hearts in thankfulness. If for no other reason, let us thank Him for His unending, all inclusive love. His love that takes us as we are and invites us to be His child. Because honestly, what other reason do we need?

No comments:

Post a Comment